A Travellerspoint blog

Day 23

It was a fine and cool morning for our last day in Canada, around 10 degrees. We loaded up the van one last time and hit the road a bit after 8 am. We had a good run on the Trans Canada Highway into Calgary and traffic was light in Calgary being fairly early on a Sunday morning. We topped up the fuel in the van at $1.13 per litre at the Husky petrol station opposite the airport and then went into the airport. We dropped off the van, paid the one way fee of C$336 (the price we paid to pick it up in Vancouver and drop it off in Calgary).
We checked in, well sort of anyway. We got our boarding passes and our luggage tags but then took our cases with us to US Immigration at the airport. You take your cases with you and then drop them off on the luggage belt after you get through. Our bags were checked through to Melbourne despite out 10 hour stopover in LA. We didn’t expect that and as a result didn’t have access to our health bags to freshen up in LA.
Darlene made an expensive boo-boo by putting her newly purchased Clinique in her carry-on bag. They were liquids in excess of 100 ml and we had to leave them at the security checkpoint. Bugger. She bought some Sheridan Coffee Liquor and Vodka duty free on the way to the gate and was threatening to drink them both on the spot.
We boarded and left around 15 minutes late but miraculously arrived 15 minutes early. It’s amazing how many pilots either exceed the speed limit or find a short cut. LA was 25 and warm. The shuttle came along before I could ring to check on it so we hopped on for the short ride to the LAX Marriott.
Upon arrival we checked the Virgin Australia website and could not see our flight. We had thoughts of being stranded and that it was cancelled or our Agent had stuffed up again. We called from the Concierge desk to find out what was going on. As it turned out, when requesting flight status, we had to select “yesterday” and not “today” when asking about our flight. The time perspective was Australian, even though the flight was departing from the USA.
We chilled in our room for a bit before heading to the airport later. We got there around three hours early to check in, get through security and do some more duty free shopping ahead of our 15 hour flight (groan). To our dismay the duty free shopping was very limited. We purchased some “natural” tablets to help us sleep on our 15 hour plus return flight. They worked for Darlene, she slept most of the flight. I got about 4 hours, better than nothing. We cleared formalities at Melbourne Airport without incident and said our goodbyes to Lance & Karol and caught a taxi home.
See you all very soon. Thanks for reading our blog.

Posted by IanDarleneUK 17:54

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint